Sunday, December 10, 2006

Hitler and the Pope

Whoa...how 'bout that for a title?

Folks, it's simply that I've been tagged for my first meme. Get out your cameras, it's like my first trip to the prom, a bit of a blogger rite of passage, no? I was tagged by my lovely fellow expat and bloggy buddy Jessica, over at In Search of Dessert.

It asks me to pick the book nearest to me, turn to page 123, go to line 5 and copy the next three lines into my post.

Since my desk is right next to a bookshelf, this made for a difficult choice. So in keeping with my blog theme, I picked the first book I saw that related to Rome.

This is a book I bought with good intentions of reading, but still haven't gotten around to. These three lines aren't exactly promising me the lightest reading of my life. Here we go:

"argument the unacceptable claim of Italian Fascism over the totality of a citizen's life. The grotesque political realities of Fascism, however, were not rebuked. Within two or three years, the same constrained papal"

The book is Hitler's Pope: The Secret History of Pius XII by John Cornwell.

I have to "tag" three people. I don't even know if these people "do" memes, but here goes:

Finny (one of my few BFFs and the girl who inspired me to get blogging), Ebony and Ivory (one of my first "commenters" and bloggy buddies), and Avery, one of my fellow Rome bloggers and friends.

Cheers! And let's hope to God (no pun intended) that your books are a little more lighthearted than mine. Sheesh! Has anybody out there read this book? Should I leave it on the shelf?

4 comments:

Jessica Brogan said...

This might be one best left on the coffee table - just to impressive guests :)

FinnyKnits said...

Ok, mama - you asked for it. But since I'm reading this post at work,it is 100% likely that my book will be work related. Prepare your snoring muscles.

Ebony and Ivory said...

Mines up!!

Dixie said...

Hey, you know this was the very first meme I was ever tagged for too!