Well, my friends, it is the inspired brainchild of my lovely expat pal Sara over at Ms. Adventures in Italy, who has kindly enlisted my help in co-hosting this groundbreaking, earth-shattering, nothing less than simply life-changing EVENT.
Who can remember the first time they were allowed to eat chocolate for breakfast?
Nutella is more than just a "chocolaty hazelnut spread," it is a way of life. From childhood memories to oozing hot crepes, from breakfasts on vacation, to free-spooning sessions on the couch, Nutella is present in the memories of many of the children and grown-up children in the world.
And it doesn't have its own holiday.
We're about to change that.
Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Shelley from At Home in Rome solemnly declare February 6th "World Nutella Day" - a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella.
How to participate:
- Make a recipe using Nutella. Eat Nutella with a spoon. A big one. Make art with Nutella. Wax poetic about Nutella. Cuddle with Nutella. Re-live your first experience eating Nutella. Offer Nutella as a sacrifice. Tell us your favorite story about those fabled Nutella glasses. Have a Nutella-eating contest or a Nutella party!
- Take pictures, upload a video, and blog about it from now until February 6th, 2007. Posts on February 6th are strongly encouraged.
- Email nutelladay [at] nutelladay [dot] com. with Subject: Nutella Day and include your name, your site name, and your permalink/URL by February 6th, 2007. You can also attach one 100x100 pixel photo of your dish-etc. to include in the roundup. We'll be posting the round-up on the 7th of February.
- In your post please include the Nutella Day participant button below and have it point to this post or to www.nutelladay.com
- Tag/categorize your post with "Nutella Day."
- Tips: Send us your tips, usage and ways to enjoy Nutella at: tips[at] nutelladay*dot* com and we’ll post them on the Nutella Day site!
- YouTube: Add your Nutella-inspired video to the Nutella Day You Tube station
- Flickr: Add your photos to the Nutella Day Flickr pool
Some resources for Nutella ideas and recipes to get you started:
- Read about its history on Wikipedia, with BBC, or on the Nutella USA site. In the U.S. find a store near you that sells it with the Store Locator
- Watch a crepe with Nutella being prepared in Paris
- Nutella on Food Network or if you read Italian, check out 1000 recipes on the Nutella Italy site
- Nutella Pancakes from Slashfood
- The Nutella Supreme from Cream Puffs in Venice
- Ogle some serious food porn with The Girl Who Ate Everything's Nutella Crepe
- Self-Frosting Cupcakes with Nutella from Baking Sheet
- Nutella Banana Muffins or Nutella Creme Brulee from Delicious Days
- A torta alla gianduia from Hungry in Hogtown
- Nutella Cookies from Alpine Berry
"Clever," indeed! Nothing compares to Italy's own Nutella.
Accept only the real deal, even if your supermarket, like mine yesterday, only has it in 30g snack packs with little white plastic thingys you can use to "spread" it (yeah, right, we know it's just for shoveling it directly into your mouth!):
Look, people, if I am brave enough to publish a silly self-portrait posing with a baby Nutella in order to promote this online event, then surely you can join in the fun too...
Now get out there and prepare your World Nutella Day entry!